Please be advised that the British High Commission have asked members of the chamber to help identify nominees from Zambia for the Commonwealth Points of Light Award.
What is the Points of Light Award?
The Points of Light awards recognise outstanding volunteers – people whose service is making a difference in their communities and whose story can inspire others to creative, innovative solutions to social challenges in their own communities and beyond.
So far Zambia has had two recipients of the awards:
- Michelle Chimuka – The founder of the ‘Sani Foundation’ which supports the inclusion of people with learning disabilities in society.
- John Zimba – A Chevening Alumnus and teacher by profession who founded the Chiparamba Trust in Chipata district. The Trust runs a community school that helps raise literacy levels in the community. All staff at the community school work on a voluntary basis.
We would like you to nominate individuals you feel are deserving of the award.
These individuals must be providing solutions to social challenges on a voluntary basis (without getting any allowance or pay for their work).
Suggestions should be sent by email to Tresford Mumba [Tresford.Mumba@fco.gov.uk] in the form of a 200-300 word submission which includes:
- A brief biography of the individual;
- A description of their volunteering activity;
- Relevant statistics of how many people in their community they are inspiring or supporting with their work;
- Details of their impact and innovation;
- And if possible a high quality landscape photograph.
Winners will receive a personalised certificate signed by The Queen and wherever possible, the High Commissioner will present the certificate, on behalf of The Queen. Winners will also be linked with existing Points of Light in the UK and America to share best practice and inspire others.
Kindly note that at this stage you don’t have to inform your nominees that they are being considered for the nomination.
Deadline for nominations is close of business on 8th August 2019.
We sincerely apologise for the short notice.
For any queries or clarifications please contact Tresford on Tel: +260 211 423 200 or Tresford.Mumba@fco.gov.uk